On the Avenida 16 de Septiembre, is the Cathedral of Puebla, considered one of the most beautiful in all of Latin America.
The Cathedral began to be built on the initiative of Fray Julián Garcés, Bishop of Tlaxcala, between 1536 and 1539.
Later, the viceregal authorities ordered the construction of a larger and more attractive temple, a project that was commissioned in 1575, to the architect Francisco Becerra.
But it was not until 1649 when the portent to which the present legend refers happened.
It is popular knowledge that the consecration of the cathedral was entrusted to Juan de Palafox and Mendoza, but its towers were made some time later.
In 1678 the construction of the north tower began, which must have been perfectly finished with beautiful bells. For this, the old campaigns were sent to melt to create a new bell, which resulted in a nine-ton bell.
Due to the time, it was difficult to place the main bell in the
The height of the tower did not help, since 73 meters separated the steel mass with its rightful place.
Thus, several days passed without them being able to raise the bell.
Until one day, when the night guard of the construction made his tour at dawn, he found that the heavy bell was perfectly in place.
He asked the workers and they told him that they had not been able to do it, so there was no longer any doubt: the angels had set it up.
It happens that the guard had had a dream at night, where he saw two angels descend from heaven, take the bell and lift it up to put it in its place, in the tower. This bell was given the name of Mary, because with it the Virgin Mary is greeted by playing the Angelus at 12 noon and 6 in the afternoon.
In commemoration of the heavenly participation to put the greater bell in its place, around the cathedral a fence was raised, which was beautifully adorned by quarry angels. It happens that these angels, if viewed at the proper angle, seem to raise the bell as they soar through the air.